An “Action” is an event organized to bring attention to a demand to fix the problem or change the system.
– Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it
- Make the demand
- Take Action
Make a group decision about:
What is the demand?
By whom and how will the demand will be made?
To whom will the demand be made?
All Actions Need:
Media coverage: issue a news release to all TV, radio and newspapers about date, time, place, problem, and demand
Turn Out: call and remind people of date, time, and place. Arrange car-pooling and personally pick-up people to ensure attendance
Props: large props are best because they will deliver an easy to see message, such as blowing-up an Eviction Notice or Pink Slip onto a Poster Board. TV needs visual aids.
Needed: People, People, People
Permit: check with city or county government responsible for geographic area where you are holding the pickets
Chant: Rhyming is also good!
2. Write-In: Send empty paper plates with messages from those affected by the problem.
Labels ( 4″x 4″) with demand typed onto them or hand write demand on each paper plate
3. Wake Up Call: Deliver wind-up alarm clocks with a demand letter that asks the agency to Wake Up and Do_____________
Wind Up Alarm Clock(s)
4. Empty Food Basket: Deliver an empty food basket to the responsible public official with the demand letter or show up with an empty food basket wherever the public official goes in his/her official capacity. Place a sign on front the food basket which lists the demand in a short slogan.
Needed: People to deliver basket(s)
Pictures of children to paste on basket
Sign for front of basket
5. Candle Light Vigil: this is a “soft ” protest event.
Bucket of water
Tinfoil with hole cut in middle to fit around candle to catch dripping wax
6. Holiday Themes: Deliver Stockings filled with coal at Christmas time, a “Turkey” Award at Thanksgiving, Heartless Awards on Valentine’s Day
Stockings, coal, fan-fold Turkey decoration, construction or poster board red heart Shape with a black circle a round it and line through the middle. ( like no-smoking
7. Clean Slate: Use to demand change, deliver children’s toy erasable slates
8. Pass Out Pink Slip(s): Use to demand that management be replaced. Deliver Pink Slips to Director with a letter asking them to resign or to Elected Official who is responsible for the problem agency, issue….
Pink Paper with termination notice typed on it
9. Empty Baby Food Jars: Placea labels with slogan or demand on the baby food jar and leave them in agency waiting room, restrooms, hallways, etc.
Baby food jars
10. Eviction Notices: Present Eviction Notices to public official responsible, evicting them from the child support enforcement system
Poster board with large Eviction Notice or 8×11 paper with Eviction Notice typed onto
it or buy pre-printed eviction notices and fill in.