Tanya is the sweetest Boxer, with a face that makes you melt when you see her. This precious girl got a tad chubby while carrying a litter, and this recipe was created to help her still have a high fiber filling recipe, but a low cal one.
This recipe would feed a 30 to 40 pound dog for two days.
See note under Fiddle Dee Dee’s recipe about commercial dog food and homemade meals.
● 1 pound of beef tongue completely diced into small pieces
● 2 thinly sliced carrots
● 2 chopped celery stalks complete with the leaves
● 1-cup of LOW SODIUM tomato juice OR 1-cup of pureed fresh tomatoes – should be thick in texture (do NOT add salt)
● 1-cup beef broth (low sodium if you use canned broth OR make your own and skim all the fat off the top) Save out 2 tbsp in a separate container.
● 1 tsp bone meal (find this at a health food store)
● 2 tsp corn starch (thickener) You can also use whole wheat flour added gradually and well stirred to thicken.
● 1 tsp powdered garlic
Mix the first six ingredients in a large saucepan and let it simmer on low heat for at least an hour. Mix your cornstarch or whole wheat flour, with 2 tbsp warm beef broth (or warm water) and add slowly to the pot. Stir well until thickened and serve to a hungry pupper.